Why Online Reviews Are Important for Your Pest Control Business
What’s the first thing you do when you’re looking for information about a business or service? Chances are you go online and start searching. Then you read the reviews to see what your neighbors are saying. Finally, you make your decision.
You’re not alone. A recent study showed that 99% of consumers have used the internet to find information about a local business in the last year. Almost 80% do so more than once a week. If you’re trying to run and grow a business, what people see when they search for you is crucial. And what people SAY about you online is critically important.
A positive online presence – one that includes good reviews and a high rating – has become an essential part of running and growing a business.
Why are online reviews important for your pest control business?
1. Reviews establish you as a reputable brand. According to BrightLocal, 91% of younger customers trust online reviews – but it’s important to them that a business has at least 40 reviews before they will believe a star rating is accurate.
2. Two words: social proof. Customers are more likely to make a purchase if they see that others, even people they don’t know, think it’s a good idea. When they search you and find a list of happy, satisfied clients, that’s the validation they need that they’re making the right choice going into business with you.
3. Good reviews are great free advertising. Nobody sells your business better than a happy customer. And when they’re really happy, they’re also more likely to share their experiences across multiple platforms – Google, Yelp, Nextdoor, etc.
4. Reviews make it easier for you to get found online. Search engines have various ways of indexing results for visitors – but all of them prioritize “fresh” content. Reviews help stoke that content fire, providing a consistent pipeline of (hopefully) positive content that’s constantly refreshing itself, helping your brand make its way to the top of search results.
5. Job seekers seek out reviews, too. It’s not just potential customers who are checking you out online. Potential employees are also looking to see what others are saying. A positive brand image is important when it comes to hiring – according to a study published in the Harvard Business Review, companies with bad reputations ended up spending 10% more per hire.
6. Good reviews show that you’re trustworthy. This is especially important for a service-based industry like pest control. Before they invite you onto their property and into their homes, customers want to make sure that your team is professional, respectful and honest. They’ll rely heavily on reviews to see what their customer experience will be like.
7. They give you an open line of communication with customers. Responding quickly, respectfully and publicly to positive and negative reviews alike shows that you’re paying attention and are willing to have a dialog with your customers. Responding to happy customers shows that you value their opinion and appreciate the time they took to leave a review. Responding honestly to negative reviews lets you address concerns, fix the problem and show that you care.
So how can you make sure you’re getting those great reviews? It’s pretty simple: You have to ask. You’d be surprised at how many of your customers would be happy to help and give you a five-star review…if only you asked them.
The minute you complete a job and ensure the customer is happy, ask for a review. You can do this face-to-face, via email or text, or on your invoice. Take every opportunity you can to ask for a review and build this into your business process.
The more positive online reviews you get, the easier it will be for you to organically grow your business.
Looking to establish an effective online presence for your pest control business? The digital marketing experts at Coalmarch by WorkWave can help. Talk to one of our team members and get started today.